Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Troika Music Festival Itinerary

The Annual Troika Music Festival
 in Durham kicks off Thursday

Troika Music Festival is back yet again with another awesome lineup.  Now looking at the schedule you may see a bit of conflict amongst who you want to see, but hopefully The Bottom String can help you clear that up a bit.  During our stay at Troika, The Bottom String will be recording Bottom String Sessions with Old Bricks and Birds & Arrows, both of which we're very excited for!  However, onto the schedule:


Thursday
7:00-9:00
Birds & Arrows and Mosadi Music
Central Park

Celebrating the kick-off of Troika, Birds & Arrows and Mosadi Music will be rocking in Central Park.  Birds & Arrows put on a good live show that will definitely set the mood for the rest of the festivals festivities very well.  Don't miss Mosadi Music's awesome performance either, one that will definitely be bringing the energy with their unique hip-hop/funk style.

9:00
Old Bricks
Pinhook

Old Bricks are a band that I'm incredibly excited to see live again.  When they opened for Lost in the Trees at their CD release show back in May I was absolutely blown away by their performance.  Old Bricks' raw, emotional, reverberated sounds will tug on your heart strings and move you in ways that you could never imagine.  This is definitely a show you shouldn't miss.

10:00
Veelee
Pinhook

Veelee are a band that I've yet to see live, but whose records I've fallen in love with.  It's going to be the first of many sets that will be cut short for me thoug unfortunately, seeing as I'm definitely going to try and see Double Negative's set out at Motorco, starting at 10:30.

11:00
Midtown Dickens
Fullsteam

Midtown Dickens bring an energy to the stage that is unparalleled in the Triangle.  Though I won't be able to catch the full set, I'm definitely going to see as much of this as possible before I head back over to Motorco to catch Valient Thorr at 11:30 to round out the night.

Friday
7:00
Wesley Wolfe
Motorco

Wesley Wolfe put out an amazing album earlier this year on Odessa that has me thoroughly excited to see the show that he puts on for Troika.  His indie-pop sound is going to be sure to provide a lot of energy on stage.  This is another show that's on the can't miss for me.

8:00
North Elementary
Motorco

North Elementary have a sound so unique that I'm very intrigued to see how well it translates live, although I've heard nothing but good things.  Their album, "Southern Rescue Trails" proved that even after 6 albums they continue to go strong, and their show is sure to be a good one.

9:00
The Sames
Motorco

The Sames last show was back in 2006, but that doesn't mean that interest in the band has waned.  Their reunion is a moment that many at Troika are looking forward to, including myself.  To put it simple, Motorco's got it going on on Friday night for Troika.  The Sames wrote some great, catchy songs that many haven't heard live in years, or never at all.  Their show is sure to please the masses.

10:00
Americans in France
Pinhook

Americans in France put out what many called North Carolina's best album back in 2009 and have finished recording their sophomore album already, leaving many anxiously waiting for it's release, me included.  Americans in France leave it all out on the stage and I personally can't wait to see them.  This is my most anticipated show of the festival.

11:00
Mandolin Orange
Fullsteam

Mandolin Orange are a duo out of Carrboro that put out one of the most beautiful folk records of 2010. Andrew and Emily's vocals harmonize in a way that many could only dream of.  The two trade vocal duties off on songs while the other plays either mandolin or violin, a combination that provides for a beautiful sounding show.  I may catch this show a bit late, seeing as I'd love to see Whatever Brains' set at 618 Foster though.

12:00
In The Year of The Pig
Pinhook

It'd be absurd to miss this show...just saying.  Another band I've yet to see, but know that I've been sleeping on for way too long.  The band's ability to build their songs from something seemingly simple into something so moving is something that I've not seen in a long time.

1:00
Red Collar
Trotter Building

Assuming that I can make it there after rocking out for almost 6 hours, Red Collar is a show that will wind down the 2nd evening of music excellently.  A band that I unfortunately missed out on seeing at Hopscotch, Red Collar is a Triangle favorite that are sure to put on a great show.

Saturday
2:30-4:30
Organos, Phil Cook & His Feat
Trotter Building

Kicking off the music on Saturday is Organos at 2:30 and Phil Cook & His Feat at 3:30.  Bringing her own unique spin to pop, Organos is going to be an enthralling show to see.  Phil Cook & His Feat is another act that I've wanted to see for a while, Phil Cook of Megafaun is the one-man project that features him rocking out on banjo, dobro, and so much more.

7:00
Filthybird
Motorco

Filthybird are unique in a way that's very hard to explain.  They've got a remarkable vocalist and a sound that blends psych-rock and country with very piano driven songs.  Filthybird is a band that has definitely caught my attention at Troika.

8:00
Chatham County Line
Motorco

Hailed as one of North Carolina's best bands, you'd have to be a fool to miss this.  Bringing the traditional blue-grass sound to the table with elements of rock and roll, Chatham County Line are out to prove why they're called one of the best by putting on a show that's sure to floor the audience.

9:00
Shipwrecker
Casbah

Shipwrecker are an americana rock band that are sure to get people moving at The Casbah.  I'm very excited to see how Casbah turned out, seeing as I've heard great things about the place but still haven't seen a show there.  Shipwrecker's live show is still a mystery to me, but it's one that I'm looking forward to.

10:00
Gray Young
Casbah

Gray Young are the Triangle's premier post-rock band, and their set at Troika will prove that.  The band weaves together raw, emotional songs that will leave everyone at The Casbah wishing for more.  Gray Young's live show is another one that I've yet to catch, but after all of what I've heard about it, I'm sure they won't disappoint.

11:00
Cassis Orange
Motorco

Cassis Orange has been billed as "J-Pop by way of North Carolina".  Whatever you want to call it, it's infectous, heavily synth driven, indie pop that will definitely get the crowds moving out at Motorco.  Another heavily anticipated set for me.

1:00
Hammer No More The Fingers
Motorco

After catching what's left of Mount Moriah's set after Cassis Orange, it'll be back to Motorco for the closing band, Hammer No More The Fingers.  A Durham favorite, Hammer No More The Fingers is going to pack out Motorco and leave it all on the stage.  Hammer has always put on an incredibly energetic show when I've seen them, and I'm sure they'll be kicking it up a notch for Troika this year.  Regardless of how tired you may be from the weekend's festivities, definitely check this set out.

No comments:

Post a Comment