Friday, April 29, 2011

The Bottom String Session w/ Langhorne Slim

Photo by Kathryn Friedman
At Shakori Hills we sat down with two artists for Bottom String Sessions.  BSS #8 was an acoustic performance from Stephen and Kevin from Holy Ghost Tent Revival (which can be found here on our Youtube channel), but on Friday we sat down with Langhorne Slim for an interview and acoustic session.  Braving the cold weather and rain, Langhorne talked a bit about his upcoming releases, touring, and a couple of prime North Carolina acts and venues.

Before the interview though Langhorne performed a brand new song called "Leander Apple" which can also be found on the Youtube channel or beneath the interview below

TBS:
So whats in the works for Langhorne Slim right now?

Langhorne:
Well we’ve been on tour and we had about ten days off and we were just sort of camping out at our friends place in a small town in Texas called Leander.  We were working on a bunch of new songs, the song I just played is a brand new one.  I’ve almost got a record written, it’s just a lot of looking forward to getting into the studio and recording it and putting it out sooner than later.

TBS:
So how would you say your songwriting has changed?

Langhorne:
It’s gotten better and better, haha.  I don’t know, I mean songs just come to me and I hope people like ‘em.

TBS:
What’s your favorite area to play in?

Langhorne:
North Carolina.  I’m not just saying that because we’re here either, but it’s definitely one of our favorite places to play.  We just played Asheville the other night, and we’ve played all over North Carolina.  It’s always been great too, I mean we’re on the road about 8-9 months of the year though, so we just love playing.

TBS:
I know you’ve played with Holy Ghost Tent Revival  in the past, anymore shows with them in the future?

Langhorne:
Yeah, we’ve done about 3 or 4 shows with Holy Ghost, and we’re talking about getting some more shows together.  We’re big fans of those guys and friends so it’s a good bill for the both of us I think.

TBS:
So how’ve you been enjoying the Shakori experience so far?

Langhorne:
Well it’s a little dreary today so far, haha.

TBS:
Yeah, well if you’re out here the rest of the weekend you get to see it clear up.

Langhorne:
Well we’ve been on tour for about 3-4 weeks and tonight just happens to be the last show before we take a little break.  A few of the guys will be hanging out here, but I’ve gotta take a plane so I’ll miss all the sunshine and warm weather.

TBS:I know you’ve hooked up with The Avett Brothers for some shows as well as the HGTR guys, have you taken an inclining to the North Carolina scene at all?

Langhorne:
I don’t know, I’m just kind of doing my thing really.  I’ve known The Avetts for almost ten years now, we met up in New York through a mutual friend, Nicole Atkins booked them and asked us and a couple friends to come and check them out.  With Holy Ghost we just did a few shows over the years, you just get to become friends when you’re out there playing shows.

TBS:
Do you have any artists in particular that are your favorite to play shows with?

Langhorne:
Well those two are pretty great!  We’ve been lucky though, we’ve got to play with a lot of great bands.  We got to play with Lucero, they were the first band to take our band out.  I’d love to do more shows with those guys.  We’ve done shows with a band called Murder By Death too, I love those guys as well.  The list goes on and on, we’ve been really fortunate to play with a lot of great bands.  Also pretty much without exception, well there’s one exception but we won’t get into that haha, the bands have been really cool to us.

TBS:
What about favorite venues to play at?

Langhorne:
I do love The Grey Eagle and Orange Peel.  There’s just so many of them out there though that I don’t know.  Most of the time it doesn’t matter though, it’s all about the energy of the room.  If we’re on, if everything matches, I don’t care whether it’s a little dive bar or a big theater it’s just when things click.  That’s what I care most about.

TBS:
So what’s been your proudest career moment to date

Langhorne:
Sitting here talking to you, haha.  Well I guess the Letterman show was pretty awesome. Looking out into a crowd and seeing people sing along with you is great, that’s what really makes me proud.  It’s a beautiful thing.

TBS:
So with the new songs you’ve been working with, have you finished the writing process and moved towards the demoing yet?

Langhorne:
That’s exactly what we’re doing.  We were just in a studio in Asheville called Echo Mountain and we laid out about 15 demo cuts to kind of float around and see what’s gonna stick.  I’m kind of hoping to get like 150 songs to take about 12 of and put ‘em out.

No comments:

Post a Comment